Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Cha Cha Sushi

You can imagine my surprise when I saw signs for a sushi restaurant in our neighborhood. A delicious meal ensued...

A sushi restaurant in the Vistapark/West Capitol neighborhood, and within walking distance of my apartment? A sushi place which might even elevate a strip mall whose main claim to fame is a generously sized Lucky's? I kept watching, waiting--and once I heard that today was the day, I was ready to dig in! My husband and I arrived for dinner around 7:20, and the modestly sized restaurant was a flurry of activity--waiters and waitresses clearing tables, guests moving in and out, and sushi chefs working steadily behind the counter. We had our choice of counter or table sitting, and we opted for the table. Unfortunately, we were shown to a table which wobbled back and forth throughout the meal. It was also right beside the door (to your left as you enter), so whenever new diners entered the restaurant, the servers couldn't see us, and we had to flag one down when we were ready to order. I chose the Rainbow Roll with a seaweed salad on the side. My husband chose the teryaki dish which came with a side salad, rice, and tuna sashimi. My roll was exquisite--moist, fresh, and delightful to the palate. I especially enjoyed the savoury pinkish red fish with the smoky flavor. (The salmon and tuna were fantastic as well). And the seaweed salad? Pickled, sweet, and with the right consistency of crispy slipperiness that I've come to expect from seaweed. From the bite I snagged of my husband's chicken, it seemed up to snuff. The presentation of his dish was pretty impressive--a carrot flower, neatly sliced chicken and sauce, the deep pinkish red sashimi served against the white noodle-like rooty vegetable strands--points given, Cha Cha, points given.And the decor--subdued lighting, uniquely painted square wall pieces, the very welcome air conditioning in the Las Vegas-like heat--all helped induce an air of calm and a sense of relaxation despite the harried atmosphere. I would say that the only downside was the lack of help. I overheard one of the sushi chefs (and possibly the owner) mention that he had hired more servers, but they had failed to show. Sad times! We also were served the wrong food twice, and we had to politely explain that we had not received the right items. I think that more service would have made all the difference. While I enjoyed the overall ambience, I wasn't necessarily planning on an hour and twenty minute dinner. My husband actually got somewhat impatient. I just really enjoyed the experience due to the food, which was truly excellent. I'm amazed that this place made its way to our neighborhood. Thanks, Cha Cha! And here's to a successful run:)

Cha Cha Sushi is located at the corner of Vistapark in Capitol, in the shopping center with Lucky's, Longs, and Bona Pizza.

No comments: